Sunday, November 10, 2019

Green is Great, Great Britain Green!


          As a third world citizen, it has been a surreal experience to witness drastic environmental changes from Southeast Asia to the UK. On today’s blog, I wanted to share my opinion about how clean this country is and how we should be adopting some of its practices (whatever within reach!) to clean our cities.



Going for Sustainable Goals


          The United Kingdom is on the right track of reaching a greener and sustainable environment amid its history of massive carbon contributions (eg. coal mines, steel productions, manufacturing, etc). In 2015, the British Government committed to achieving the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals which target to promote peace, prosperity, health and education, and climate change all over the world.

          During my one-year time in the Scotland, it has been an astonishing experience to witness all of these changes the local people have done for the greater good. The National Health Service Scotland and its free healthcare benefits for its citizens, the free Scottish education system (including university!) for the future Scottish generations and so on. On top of all these, there is one aspect I would talk about: How the UK is shifting towards a greener society at a swift pace.

          All over the news, the country has been receiving recognition for becoming increasingly sustainable over the past few years. In fact, according to BBC (2019), Britain has been producing more power from clean sources than fossil fuels for the first time since the Industrial Revolution. Moreover, wildflowers have been flooding not just the highways, but also in parks and neighborhoods.

          Initially, I wondered how this was being done, and why my country’s government couldn’t do this. After spending time in Glasgow, and a few other British cities, I started to recognize the little big things people and the government coordinate to achieve this collective goal. Thus, I would like to present some of these “little big things” to everyone reading my blog in the hope of one day, our city become greener too!







Paper Bags

          Unlike Myanmar where non-recyclable plastic bags are still used as containers, food shops like McDonald’s or Tim Hortan’s in Britain mainly go for the one-time biodegradable paper bags only to hold food.






Pay for Plastic

          Grocery stores like Morrisons and Aldi also do not provide free plastic bags (you need to buy them!) and encourage customers to use reusable bags for shopping.






A Coffee Cup for 25p!

          Where I come from, coffee shops do not give you the option to bring a cup to hold coffee or tea and everything is included in the final price. However, in the UK, shops charge you for both coffee and the one-time use cups. Or you can bring your own cup and reduce waste. Amazing!







Recycled Plastic Filled Products

          I was shopping at Hollister last week when I came across something called recycled plastic filled puffer jackets. This was the second time I came across this, and the first time was when I saw pillows made from recyclable plastic bottles in John Lewis! This may be common to the local people, but I found these products surprisingly pleasing.

 






Windmills


          When you travel in Scotland, it is very usual to find windmill farms alongside the highways. No smoke, no noise (from a distance), just pure and clean energy from mother nature.



          So, these are some of the things about the UK I find really impressive and envy. I believe we should learn a thing or two to clean our cities back in Myanmar too. Do you think the same?






No comments:

Post a Comment

The Journey

After the four previous blogs I have posted, I would now like to talk about my decision to study at University of Strathclyde and how I fin...